An Unparalleled Educational Experience
The Spiritual Yoga School (accredited with Yoga Alliance USA) is a boutique institution offering an unparalleled educational experience. Our courses reflect our passion for holistic wellness and were specifically tailored to suit the needs of the expanding yoga industry.
This event will be conducted at the beautiful purpose-built centre incorporates three light-filled studios, a therapy room, reception, changing facilities and a small coffee bar. Housed in a Victorian warehouse, the centre combines the character and charm of a period property with the luxuries of a modern refurbishment (showers, underfloor heating, insulation, new windows, wooden floors). Class sizes are limited to 20 students, creating an intimate and personal environment. Instructors are of the highest calibre, sharing generously of their education and insight.
The 200-hour Yoga Teacher Training Immersion follow the guidelines set out by the Yoga Alliance, ensuring the highest educational standards of quality, integrity and professionalism.
Participants will develop a personal yoga practice appropriate for each individual while learning to foster a connection with their own inner wisdom and voice. Finding this deeper connection to Self will allow the teacher to communicate the practice to others in a dynamic and sensitive way.
Spiritual Yoga School concentrates on exceptional training. We do not operate as a yoga studio running daily classes, but focus on training great teachers. The philosophy of our training is to make the practice of yoga accessible, fun and safe for everyone, while both honouring the traditions of yoga and playing a part in its evolution.
In our methodology, a yoga practice is not imposed on the individual instead the practice is adapted to the individual and is considerate of many factors including age, body type, fitness level and energy on any given day. Teachers in training develop their innate, sometimes dormant, skills of clear communication and leadership along with a personal practice suited to their individual needs and goals.
We have a faculty of teachers who come into the training to share their expert knowledge and distilled teachings with the SYS trainees. Some topics include – History of Yoga, overview of ancient/relevant yogic texts, Restorative Yoga, Prenatal Yoga, Subtle Body and Chakra presentations, Conscious Breathing and Emotional Release to name a few. In this way, the students’ faculties of discrimination and inner wisdom are stimulated. A clear understanding of the differences in each approach allows teachers in training to have a solid understanding of Hatha Yoga and gives them creative license over their own teaching style.
Many students have asked if it is important to have an advanced physical practice in order to teach yoga. The ability to perform difficult postures is not necessarily a hallmark of advanced practice. Advanced practice is the ability to go deeply into even the most simple postures and exercises.
Yoga Alliance Core Subject Areas
DOING YOGA - Techniques, Training and Practice
Through guided practice and analytical training, you'll study a broad range of yoga techniques in order to a) integrate them into your personal practice, b) safely and effectively teach them to others. Both practice and theory receive substantial emphasis.
- Pranayama - Breathing techniques
- Bandhas - Body locks
- Kriyas - Yogic cleansing practices
- Sanskrit - Practical learning of Sanskrit terms
- Mantras & Chanting
- Meditation & Yoga Nidra
TEACHING YOGA - Teaching Methodology
Effective communication is one of the key skills of a yoga teacher, but it doesn't end there. Learn how to address the specific needs of students in your group and private classes through demonstration, observation, assisting and correcting.
- Teaching Techniques
- How to give hands on Adjustments
- Principles of Demonstration
- Learning through Observation
- Assisting in yoga classes
- Teaching styles and the Ethics of Teaching
- Qualities of a great yoga teacher
- Methods of learning
- How to teach Private Classes
- How to sequence a Power Yoga Class
- How to sequence a Modified Ashtanga Class
- How to sequence a Restorative Class
KNOW THE BODY - Anatomy and Physiology
Our approach to the body takes on physical anatomy and physiology (bodily systems, organs, range of movement) and sets this against developing models of the yogic body (chakras, nadis, etc.). Integrating both of these approaches, you will gain a holistic view of how yogic techniques work.
- Anatomy and Physiology (muscles, bones, organs, bodily systems, etc)
- Anatomical Movement and Directional terminology
- Healthy Movement Patterns
- Range of Movement
- Yogic models of the Chakras, Nadis, and Kundalini
- Energetics (Prana)
- Subtle body scheme including the Five Sheaths (Pancha Kosha)
KNOW THE MIND - Yoga Philosophy, Lifestyle and Ethics
The study of Indian history and philosophies allows us to understand yoga within a broader contextual framework. Non-dogmatic in approach, we present an open discourse on key concepts such as non-violence (ahimsa), duty (dharma) and action (karma). Ethics for yoga teachers builds on these discussions so you'll understand your role in the wider yoga community.
- The history of yoga from inception until today
- Guided study of ancient texts
- Bhagavad Gita
- Patanjali's Yoga Sutras
- Ayurvedic lifestyle and diet principles
- Life planning (creating the life you want through yoga)
- Developing a personal teaching philosophy
- Understanding the teacher-student relationship
PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT - Teaching Practice
Early and ongoing teaching practice sessions form an essential component in ensuring you reach a high standard of instruction. Practices and teaching drills start within the first few days of the course and are maintained through to examinations. You'll be able to confidently lead 60 and 90 minute classes by the end of your training.
- Ongoing teaching practice
- Voice-work coaching
- Receiving and giving feedback
- Learning through observation
- Assisting in live classes
INTO THE WORLD - The Business of Yoga
In the modern world being a great yoga teacher isn't enough - you also need to market yourself. Known as the nitty-gritty lectures, we'll share our know-how on the industry from setting up yoga classes and getting students, to creating waivers and yoga CVs.
- Building your Business - tools of the trade
- Marketing yourself as a Yoga Teacher
- Finding appropriate yoga space
- Approaching yoga studios and gyms
- Carving out your niche
- Etiquette - Your responsibility in the classroom
4-Month: 3 weekends a month for 4 months; Saturday & Sunday, 9am - 6pm
- January 2017 7th-8th, 14th-15th, 21st-22nd
- February 2017 4th-5th, 11th-12th, 25th-26th
- March 2017 4th-5th, 11th-12th, 18th-19th
- April 1st-2nd, 8th-9th, 15th-16th
Our teachers’ knowledge and experience is astounding, but what truly sets them apart is that they are people of integrity and heart. The supportive learning atmosphere and capable yoga teachers who graduate well-equipped to make a positive contribution to the world of holistic health.
Contact Spiritual Yoga School Ltd for more details.
The Shala in London, United Kingdom
- full training program
- drinking water and tea
- equipment (yoga blocks & bricks, blankets, yoga belts, bolsters, mats)
- wi-fi internet
- tuition fee, books&manuals
*Feel free to contact us for discount or scholarship.
- West Norwood overground train (2 mins walk)
- Tulse Hill overground train (7 mins walk)
- Parking: free on neighbouring streets
- Cycle Bays: Norwood Road
- Buses: X68, 196, 315, 322, 432, 468
- Hatha yoga pradipika by the Bihar School of Yoga
- Karma yoga by Swami Vivekananda
- Eastern body, western mind by Anadea Judith
- Sutras of Patanjali by Swami Vivekananda
- Bhagavad gita by sri Swami Sivananda
- Meditation for the love of it: enjoying your own deepest experience by Sally Kempton
- Science of being and art of living by Maharishi Mahesh
- Science of being and art of living by Maharishi Mahesh
- Yoga Anatomy by Leslie Kaminoff&Amy Matthews
- Yoga meditation: through mantra, chakras and Kundalini to spiritual freedom by Gregor Maehle
- Touching enlightenment: finding realization in the body, by Reginald A. Ray
- The purpose and practice of Buddhist meditation, by Sangharakshita
- The anatomy ofHatha yoga, by David Coulter
For Yoga Teacher Training in London, a £1200/$1500 deposit is required upon booking to secure your place. The balance is due one month prior to the training start date.
Cancellations received 45 days or more before arrival date: 50% of the training rate is non-refundable.
Cancellation received within 14-44 days to the arrival date: 75% of the program rate is non-refundable. If the cancellation occurs before 13 days of the arrival date then your non-refundable payment can be kept as credit for any future program once it is used within the following 12 months from cancellation date.
We regret that any cancellations within 13 days or less are completely non-refundable and non-transferable.
Accepted payment methods
Bank wire transfer, Credit Card, Cash (only £)
For more information, ask your questions directly to the Spiritual Yoga School. We will be happy to assist you. Simply click on Contact Us button to send a message.